2013 4-H Film Making Statewide Project
Presented by the 4-H Technology Leadership Team (TLT)
Supported by BestBuy!
The goal of the 4-H Film Making Project is to enhance technological literacy of 4-H members, ages 13-19, by helping them learn the basics of film production including storyboarding, filming, and editing.
Goal #1: The effort is directed toward 4-H club members conducting Revolution of Responsibility civic engagement projects in their local communities. Members are required to submit photo and/or film documentation of their completed projects, illustrating the impact of their efforts to address community issues through civic action. The TLT project will provide support to 4-H members in enhancing the quality and effectiveness of their documentary efforts.
Goal #2: A secondary goal is to have 4-H members interview 4-H alumni about their experiences, in a national project titled "Voices of 4-H History." The purpose of the Voices of 4-H History project is to collect information on audio or video recordings that reflects personal and community-based 4-H history and illustrates the program's richly significant story.
Steps to Participate:
- Participate in one of the workshops. Register today!
- Prepare your story (storyboard).
- Check-out the video equipment loaner kit for a month and film your video.
- Edit your video.
- Send the video file to the State 4-H Office to post on the California 4-H YouTube Channel.
To learn the basics of video production, 4-H members (age 13-19), 4-H volunteers, and 4-H staff are invited to participate in a workshop presented by the 4-H Technology Leadership Team. There is no cost to participate. These trainings are provided by support from BestBuy through the California 4-H Foundation.
List of Workshops
- January 12, 2013, Mt. San Antonio College - canceled.
- February 2, 2013, 10:00am-3:00pm
Santa Barbara County 4-H Office, 6950 Hollister Ave, Ste. 275, Goleta, CA 93117
- February 9, 2013, 10:00am-3:00pm
*change of location* UC Davis, WCAE Heidrick Center. 154 Hills Drive, Davis, CA. MAP
- February 16, 2013, Fresno County 4-H Office - canceled.
- February 23, 2013, 10:00am-3:00pm
Santa Cruz County 4-H Office, 1432 Freedom Blvd, Watsonville, CA 95076
- March 2, 2013, 1:00pm-5:00pm
Tehama County, Wetter Hall, 1740 Walnut Street, Red Bluff, CA 96080 (Immediately following a meeting of the North Section 4-H Council)
- March 9, 2013, 10:00am-3:00pm
Mendocino County 4-H Office, 890 North Bush Street, Ukiah, CA 95482
- April 27, 2013, 10:00am-3:30pm
Best Western Inn & Suites, 3400 Shelby Street, Ontario, CA 91764, Vineyard Room (Taking place concurrently with a meeting of the California State 4-H Council)
- July 26, 2013 @ 4-H State Leadership Conference (you must register for the conference)
Workshops will cover the topics in the 4-H Filmmaking Studio curriculum at http://www.4-h.org/curriculum/filmmaking/. The curriculum covers using a digital camcorder and tripod; filmmaking tips and processes; documentary filmmaking; transferring, capturing, converting and importing footage; storytelling with editing; and uploading video.
Plenty of hands-on practice!
Videos for the 4-H Revolution of Responsibility should follow the National 4-H Council storytelling format: A: Define a problem within your community; B: How can 4-H be a part of the solution; C: How your project impacts your community; and D: Sign-off with “Join our Revolution.”
Video Equipment Loaner Kits
4-H Projects, Clubs, and Groups may check-out video equipment loaner kits for a month to use to capture video. Confirm availability on the calendar. To check-out a kit, please contact Steven Worker at email@example.com. Kits contain the following equipment:
- Sony HDR-CX260V High Definition Handycam 8.9 MP Camcorder with 30x Optical Zoom and 16 GB Embedded Memory (with an extra 6 hour battery and external 32 GB SD card)
- Tripod (Sony VCT-R100)
- Sony ECM-AW3 Wireless microphone
- AC / DC Charger
Films created by 4-H members may be highlighted in multiple places. Please note that acceptable video formats are .MOV., .AVI, .WMF, and .MP4. Please do not include the full names of youth (both in audio and video; e.g., nametags youth may wear). Do not use copyrighted material (i.e. popular music).
- State 4-H Film Festival: Submitted videos will be showcased at the State 4-H Field Day on May 25, 2013 at UC Davis. Entries are due by May 3, 2013.
- Showcased online at:
- California 4-H Revolution of Responsibility Website
- California 4-H YouTube Channel
- California 4-H Facebook Fan Page
- National 4-H Film Festival: Entries due July 15, 2013.